It is hard to decide what to post here as a first blog entry.
I guess I’ll provide some notes as to the processes I have gone through during my time in writing and self-publishing my first book. I found those sorts of blog posts very very helpful.
The chief lesson that I think I have learned with working with a printer is to be better prepared with the text and formatting. The ebook version of The Trivium Proportion took only 2 days to get published after the editing of the text had been completed. The only reason that it took 2 days was for a copyright check, since the stories used to be online.
The paperback and hardcover version, which I set up through lightning source ended up costing me more than I had hoped by my own fault. I failed to notice that when I copy/pasted the text from word into microsoft publisher (which I used to set up the print formatting), I failed to double check all the chapters. I repeated chapter 3 and failed to include chapter 4! What a fool I was. So, I had to submit a revision not once but twice. Even after I realized the paperback had the error, I failed to correct the hardcover upload before I sent it to lightning source digitally.
This mistake with the file upload caused me even more stress when the first run of the hardcovers that I ordered still had two chapter 3’s! I felt like a total fool. I failed to double check the error on the eproof of the hardcover like I had done with the paperback.
This mistake caused the biggest learning experience and cautionary tale for me. The same thing occurred to another friend just after it happened to me.
So, pay attention to those final proofs and maybe even send a double check e-mail with the printer to make sure they have the right files!